11/23/09

11/23 - Return to Running!!!

It has been a long time. Period.
After I picked up running 7 1/2 years ago, I haven't taken a break. Part of the reason for not taking a long break was worrying about my weight. Well, through this time period off, I really have learned about proper nutrition. I lost about 8 lbs while NOT running. I did this through making conscious decisions about what I was eating. Even when I was running, I wasn't getting the proper nutrition. My calorie imbalance was way too weighted toward fats and carbs, and not even close on the protein scale.

I've learned to be a smarter runner through this period of not running. Hmm...I guess sitting on the sidelines for bit does have some benefits??
WHY should I spend this much energy on running even when I'm not running???

Simply put, I love to run. There is nothing like it. Just like with many things in life, there is a certain amount of discipline that comes with doing what you love.
On the outside looking in, it may look easy to lace up shoes and go run. The fact is it is quite a bit of work. But when I'm on that trail, 30 miles into a race, I have the biggest smile on my face!

Okay - returning to run. Today, I started with 15 minutes outside! It was great! I worked quite a bit on my stride and hand position to open up my hips. I then completed the hour workout with 45 minutes on the elliptical.

As for supper last night - Here is what my beautiful (and unfortunately sick with a cold) wife made for Sunday night's dinner. This was recently in Runner's world. The chicken was yummy, the sauce was a bit salty (not my wife's doing, just the recipe in general). I added the 2 cups of mixed veggies along with some acorn squash.





Here is the link to the recipe: http://recipes.runnersworld.com/Recipe/crispy-parmesan-chicken.aspx

This is a "keeper" recipe. We'll use it again!

Oh yeah - I also did this on Sunday.....


No comments:

Post a Comment