6/24/10

With 10 days to go.....Taper!

Finally - after a few weeks of really hitting the running hard, it is time to start to lay off a bit!
Maybe I'll have to kick back and one of these to celebrate:



On Friday, I ran a 50k in about 4 hrs and 24 minutes. It was a great run to have under my belt with two weeks out. I followed up the 31 mile run with a 6.5 mile run on Saturday. The back to back days helps with the feeling of running on legs that are shot (muscle fatigue). Yes, my legs were shot. It was 31 miles the day before after all!

The past week, I did one last tempo run, where I had 8.5 miles in 60 minutes. Not as fast as I would like, but with the high humidity and temps in the 90s, it was a solid run in hindsight (while running it, I thought it was way to hard and way to slow!).

I know go pretty easy until race time, letting my legs feel rested for the race. I've started my pre-race rituals - checking the 10 day weather outlook, looking at past results to see where I should pinpoint my goal time, etc.

For the ultra running geeks, this weekend is shaping up to be a great race weekend at Western States 100. There is great competition at WS100 this year and it will be fun to see how it plays out. Just to call out the men's race picks - Geoff Roes or Hal Koerner - it is a toss up - slight edge to Roes based on what I've read.

6/17 - 5.5 miles
6/18 - 31 miles
6/19 - 6.5 miles
6/20 - OFF
6/21 - 9.2 miles
6/22 - 10 miles (8.5 @ 7:03)
6/23 - 10.6 miles

YTD - 1370.6 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment