9/29/09

9/29 - Still getting used to being a non-runner

Okay, I have a few updates.....


Yes, I have not run in almost two full weeks. And yes, I smell like chlorine from the pool.


I have been doing quite a bit of swimming and cycling. On Sunday, I went out for a 30 mile bike ride. I was wiped at the end of cycling 30 miles, I can't believe there are people out there who like to run that far....oh wait a second!!


I have started to take a closer look at what I can do outside of running to make sure I come back from this injury in reasonable running shape. So, I have started to watch what I eat among other things.


I watch what I eat, I really haven't changed what I eat, but I do watch the Little Debbie Cosmic brownie get unwrapped and get into my mouth.


I know that I need to eat better.....


I'm not sure how many calories I actually burn through when I run, but I'm guessing my average 60 mile running week burns an additional 6000 calories or so a week. You can see how the absence of running might effect my diet.


I'm still trying to hit 60 minutes of cardio a day, 6 days a week, with swimming, cycling, and yes, elliptical. I've also started to water jog (yawn). Even with all of this, I seem to have put on a few pounds. I think some of the stress of not running is getting to me and, since I'm an emotional eater, the less I run - the more I eat. Hence - me and Little Debbie getting closer over the past couple of weeks.


So - to recap - less calories burned due to decreased exercise PLUS an increase in "junk" food calorie intake = a bigger Doug.


My wife is great - she is really supportive of helping me through this stress fracture. For example, she prepared a great meal below, and this is hopefully the first of many entries about trying to eat right...


We recently had the Cooking Light's Barbecue Sirloin and Blue Cheese Salad for supper. You can find the recipe here: http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=1918481


This is what our salad looked like.


It was a great meal. Melissa did a fantastic job recreating the dish. She did substitute a baby greens salad mix for the bib lettuce. For only 269 calories a serving, it really hit the spot. According to Melissa, the preparation of the meal was easy and the whole meal was prepared in about 20 minutes.
That was Sunday evening. Last night was a crazy schedule night with kid activities and I ended up with a Turkey sandwich followed by some brownies and banana bread. Okay lots of brownies - Hey....I'm still a work in progress.......

No comments:

Post a Comment