9/4/09

9/4 Run - easy 5 - Rocket

Today was my first run since the 50 mile race.

It was like having a conversation with a friend who you haven't seen in a while.....

Or tasting ice cream on a hot summer day....

Or hot chocolate on a cold winter day.....

In other words, it was comforting to me. I don't know when this happened, but running is so much a part of me, that running actually sooths my soul. It makes me a calmer person, a a patient dad, and (although my wife may disagree) a more understanding husband.

Today's run was an easy 5 miles. I wanted to see how it went. No lies, I even thought running 5 miles after the 50 mile race should seem easy. It wasn't - my two week hiatus from running caused some struggle in the 5 mile run.

Like that first awkwardness of saying hello to that old friend, or eating the ice cream too fast that a "brain freeze" occurs, or you burn the roof of your mouth because the hot chocolate is not "just" hot, but scolding.

Yes, a little bit of uncomfortable is okay, but in the end, you just feel better. When you finish that conversation, eat that last bite of ice cream, or finishing up that list sip of hot chocolate - you sit back and smile.

Those items felt so comforting, you can't wait to do it again.

Yep - me and running - can't wait to do it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment